Personal Genome Project
Would you volunteer?

The Human Genome Project (from wikipedia.org)
The Human Genome Project (HGP) was an international scientific research project with a primary goal to determine the sequence of chemical base pairs which make up DNA and to identify the approximately 20,000-25,000 genes of the human genome from both a physical and functional standpoint.
The project began in 1990, a working draft of the genome was released in 2000 and a complete one in 2003. The mapping of human genes is an important step in the development of medicines and other aspects of health care.
The HGP originally aimed to map the nucleotides contained in a haploid reference human genome (more than three billion. The "genome" of any given individual (except for identical twins and cloned animals) is unique; mapping "the human genome" involves sequencing multiple variations of each gene.
Goals
The sequence of the human DNA is stored in databases available to anyone on the Internet. The U.S. National Center for Biotechnology Information(and sister organizations in Europe and Japan) house the gene sequence in a database known as GenBank, along with sequences of known and hypothetical genes and proteins. Computer programs have been developed to analyze the data, because the data themselves are difficult to interpret without such programs.
The process of identifying the boundaries between genes and other features in raw DNA sequence is called genome annotation and is the domain of bioinformatics. While expert biologists make the best annotators, their work proceeds slowly, and computer programs are increasingly used to meet the high-throughput demands of genome sequencing projects.
All humans have unique gene sequences. Therefore the data published by the HGP does not represent the exact sequence of each and every individual's genome. It is the combined genome of a small number of anonymous donors. The HGP genome is a scaffold for future work in identifying differences among individuals.
Benefits
The work on interpretation of genome data is still in its initial stages. It is anticipated that detailed knowledge of the human genome will provide new avenues for advances in medicine and biotechnology. Clear practical results of the project emerged even before the work was finished. For example, a number of companies, such as Myriad Genetics started offering easy ways to administer genetic tests that can show predisposition to a variety of illnesses, including breast cancer, disorders of hemostasis, cystic fibrosis, liver diseases and many others. Also, the etiologies for cancers, Alzheimer's disease and other areas of clinical interest are considered likely to benefit from genome information and possibly may lead in the long term to significant advances in their management.
There are also many tangible benefits for biological scientists. For example, a researcher investigating a certain form of cancer may have narrowed down his/her search to a particular gene. By visiting the human genome database on the world wide web, this researcher can examine what other scientists have written about this gene, including (potentially) the three-dimensional structure of its product, its function(s), its evolutionary relationships to other human genes, or to genes in mice or yeast or fruit flies, possible detrimental mutations, interactions with other genes, body tissues in which this gene is activated, diseases associated with this gene or other datatypes.
Further, deeper understanding of the disease processes at the level of molecular biology may determine new therapeutic procedures. Given the established importance of DNA in molecular biology and its central role in determining the fundamental operation of cellular processes, it is likely that expanded knowledge in this area will facilitate medical advances in numerous areas of clinical interest that may not have been possible without them.
The analysis of similarities between DNA sequences from different organisms is also opening new avenues in the study of the theory of evolution. In many cases, evolutionary questions can now be framed in terms of molecular biology; indeed, many major evolutionary milestones (the emergence of the ribosome and organelles, the development of embryos with body plans, the vertebrate immune system) can be related to the molecular level. Many questions about the similarities and differences between humans and our closest relatives (the primates, and indeed the other mammals) are expected to be illuminated by the data from this project.
The Personal Genome Project (from wikipedia.org)
The Personal Genome Project (PGP) aims to publish the complete genomes and medical records of several volunteers, in order to enable research into personalized medicine. It was initiated by Harvard University's George Church and announced in January 2006.
The project will publish the genotype (the full DNA sequence of all 46 chromosomes) of the volunteers, along with extensive information about their phenotype: medical records, various measurements, MRI images, etc. All data will be freely available over the Internet, so that researchers can test various hypotheses about the relationships among genotype, environment and phenotype.
All data will be published along with the volunteer's name (since full anonymity can never be guaranteed anyway). An important part of the project will be the exploration of the resulting risks to the participants, such as possible discrimination by insurers and employers if the genome shows a predisposition for certain diseases.
The Harvard Medical School Institutional Review Board requested that the first set of volunteers included the PGP director and other diverse stakeholders in the scientific, medical, and social implications of personal genomes, because they are well positioned to give highly informed consent. As sequencing technology becomes cheaper, and the societal issues mentioned above are worked out, it is hoped that a large number of volunteers from all walks of life will participate. The long-term goal is that every person have access to his or her genotype to be used for personalized medical decisions.
In an interview in December 2007, Church stated that the sequencing effort for the above individuals had started and that the participants would get a chance to redact their trait data before publication. He also announced that the project was about to expand considerably and would recruit 100,000 volunteers in 2008; these would have to pass a test before they can participate, to ensure that they are able to give fully informed consent.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using the following resources:
The Personal Genome Project
http://www.personalgenomes.org/
Who Owns the Human Genetic Code?
http://academic.udayton.edu/health/05bioethics/00ammons.htm7013.html
How the Personal Genome Project could unlock the mysteries of life.
http://www.wired.com/medtech/stemcells/magazine/16-08/ff_church?currentPage=all
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Please respond to the prompt listed below. 2 or 3 paragraphs would be appropriate.
Publish your response as a comment to this post. When stating your opinion, consider issues of privacy, personal medical information, health insurance coverage of predisposed conditions, possible inheritance of genetic disorders to future generations etc.
Thanks, Mr. A
“Would you volunteer to be part of the personal genome project?
Please reply to other student comments also! Two or more would be appropriate!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Human Genome Project (from wikipedia.org)
The Human Genome Project (HGP) was an international scientific research project with a primary goal to determine the sequence of chemical base pairs which make up DNA and to identify the approximately 20,000-25,000 genes of the human genome from both a physical and functional standpoint.
The project began in 1990, a working draft of the genome was released in 2000 and a complete one in 2003. The mapping of human genes is an important step in the development of medicines and other aspects of health care.
The HGP originally aimed to map the nucleotides contained in a haploid reference human genome (more than three billion. The "genome" of any given individual (except for identical twins and cloned animals) is unique; mapping "the human genome" involves sequencing multiple variations of each gene.
Goals
The sequence of the human DNA is stored in databases available to anyone on the Internet. The U.S. National Center for Biotechnology Information(and sister organizations in Europe and Japan) house the gene sequence in a database known as GenBank, along with sequences of known and hypothetical genes and proteins. Computer programs have been developed to analyze the data, because the data themselves are difficult to interpret without such programs.
The process of identifying the boundaries between genes and other features in raw DNA sequence is called genome annotation and is the domain of bioinformatics. While expert biologists make the best annotators, their work proceeds slowly, and computer programs are increasingly used to meet the high-throughput demands of genome sequencing projects.
All humans have unique gene sequences. Therefore the data published by the HGP does not represent the exact sequence of each and every individual's genome. It is the combined genome of a small number of anonymous donors. The HGP genome is a scaffold for future work in identifying differences among individuals.
Benefits
The work on interpretation of genome data is still in its initial stages. It is anticipated that detailed knowledge of the human genome will provide new avenues for advances in medicine and biotechnology. Clear practical results of the project emerged even before the work was finished. For example, a number of companies, such as Myriad Genetics started offering easy ways to administer genetic tests that can show predisposition to a variety of illnesses, including breast cancer, disorders of hemostasis, cystic fibrosis, liver diseases and many others. Also, the etiologies for cancers, Alzheimer's disease and other areas of clinical interest are considered likely to benefit from genome information and possibly may lead in the long term to significant advances in their management.
There are also many tangible benefits for biological scientists. For example, a researcher investigating a certain form of cancer may have narrowed down his/her search to a particular gene. By visiting the human genome database on the world wide web, this researcher can examine what other scientists have written about this gene, including (potentially) the three-dimensional structure of its product, its function(s), its evolutionary relationships to other human genes, or to genes in mice or yeast or fruit flies, possible detrimental mutations, interactions with other genes, body tissues in which this gene is activated, diseases associated with this gene or other datatypes.
Further, deeper understanding of the disease processes at the level of molecular biology may determine new therapeutic procedures. Given the established importance of DNA in molecular biology and its central role in determining the fundamental operation of cellular processes, it is likely that expanded knowledge in this area will facilitate medical advances in numerous areas of clinical interest that may not have been possible without them.
The analysis of similarities between DNA sequences from different organisms is also opening new avenues in the study of the theory of evolution. In many cases, evolutionary questions can now be framed in terms of molecular biology; indeed, many major evolutionary milestones (the emergence of the ribosome and organelles, the development of embryos with body plans, the vertebrate immune system) can be related to the molecular level. Many questions about the similarities and differences between humans and our closest relatives (the primates, and indeed the other mammals) are expected to be illuminated by the data from this project.
The Personal Genome Project (from wikipedia.org)
The Personal Genome Project (PGP) aims to publish the complete genomes and medical records of several volunteers, in order to enable research into personalized medicine. It was initiated by Harvard University's George Church and announced in January 2006.
The project will publish the genotype (the full DNA sequence of all 46 chromosomes) of the volunteers, along with extensive information about their phenotype: medical records, various measurements, MRI images, etc. All data will be freely available over the Internet, so that researchers can test various hypotheses about the relationships among genotype, environment and phenotype.
All data will be published along with the volunteer's name (since full anonymity can never be guaranteed anyway). An important part of the project will be the exploration of the resulting risks to the participants, such as possible discrimination by insurers and employers if the genome shows a predisposition for certain diseases.
The Harvard Medical School Institutional Review Board requested that the first set of volunteers included the PGP director and other diverse stakeholders in the scientific, medical, and social implications of personal genomes, because they are well positioned to give highly informed consent. As sequencing technology becomes cheaper, and the societal issues mentioned above are worked out, it is hoped that a large number of volunteers from all walks of life will participate. The long-term goal is that every person have access to his or her genotype to be used for personalized medical decisions.
In an interview in December 2007, Church stated that the sequencing effort for the above individuals had started and that the participants would get a chance to redact their trait data before publication. He also announced that the project was about to expand considerably and would recruit 100,000 volunteers in 2008; these would have to pass a test before they can participate, to ensure that they are able to give fully informed consent.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using the following resources:
The Personal Genome Project
http://www.personalgenomes.org/
Who Owns the Human Genetic Code?
http://academic.udayton.edu/health/05bioethics/00ammons.htm7013.html
How the Personal Genome Project could unlock the mysteries of life.
http://www.wired.com/medtech/stemcells/magazine/16-08/ff_church?currentPage=all
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Please respond to the prompt listed below. 2 or 3 paragraphs would be appropriate.
Publish your response as a comment to this post. When stating your opinion, consider issues of privacy, personal medical information, health insurance coverage of predisposed conditions, possible inheritance of genetic disorders to future generations etc.
Thanks, Mr. A
“Would you volunteer to be part of the personal genome project?
Please reply to other student comments also! Two or more would be appropriate!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project as it is currently, even though I believe that it is an amazing effort with the potential to produce incredible results. As it stands today, privacy on the internet and discrimination, despite all the progress in both areas, are still problems in society. For example, employers are using Facebook as a tool to keep an eye on all their employees. If everyone had access to each other's medical records, before meeting or working with him or her they could discriminate him or her based on those records. Or they might misinterpret them, since they are not doctors, and come to wrong conclusions about normal genetic differences. Furthermore, while in some countries it is not an issue, if I were to move to another country where health insurance doesn't have good coverage, they might choose not to cover a condition that I might develop in the future which I will need help for. For me, the benefits of having my entire genome analyzed and MRI images (which I would love to have) do not outweigh the risks associated. I would love to have a private copy to identify my genetic strengths and weaknesses and work towards orienting my life differently according to that data. If the technology were to develop in such a way that only you and people you authorize can access that data, then I would be much more willing to volunteer.
ReplyDeleteJulian A.
I would want to volunteer for the Genome Project because it could potentially tell if I have any specific diseases that could harm me in the future. This could project could save lives. This project is designed to help people.
ReplyDeleteHowever, the Genome Project also has bad sides to it. For example, now that we know our potential diseases insurances would also be able to access this information. Therefore, they could choose if they want to insure the person or not. This could be a problem for people in whom the Genome Project has detected a disease. Also, the Genome Project would post all its information online with little privacy towards the volunteers. This could affect or bother some people.
I believe the Genome Project is a very good project but maybe each person's results should be private
Blanca M
I would not volunteer for the personal genome project even though I believe that there could be incredible results and information gained from it. Since privacy, and especially privacy and especially privacy on the internet has become a very important thing. With all this medical as well as person information out in public there could be various different consequences. If everyone had access to your medical information employees may discriminate you do to your medical records. They also might misinterpret the information that your medical record gives them and come to wrong conclusion about normal genetic differences. Another issue would be the weather or not the insurance will decide cover the conditions that you might develop in the future for which you would need medical treatment such as cancer or Alzheimer. However, if there was an option where only the person that got their genome analyzed could view the information that was concluded I would most likely volunteer for the project because it would help you to see what problems you might have in the future and that could be a great advantage.
ReplyDeleteIsabella B.
Human Genome Project Blog Post
ReplyDeleteThe Personal Genome Project is definitely a life-changing scientific development. It is capable of telling and foreseeing everyone’s life with just one test. However, we do not yet know to what extent we would like to know about ourselves, for having one’s entire genes in front of them and whatever they may code for, can be a beneficial or harmful thing. If I had the opportunity to map my genes using this new technology, I would take it because I would rather know how much of a possibility of having a genetic disease I have, or what are the chances my children would inherit a genetic disease is, thought there are some precautions I would take when I took the test.
I would like to see my Personal Genome Test because I want to know before hand what are the chances of me or my children having a genetic disease is, as well as what it is and how I may be able to prevent it. I think that suddenly discovering that one might have a devastating sickness that can change the rest of one’s life is not fair for that person or the people who surround him or her. In my case, I would like to have a warning and warn the people I love if there is a high chance of me having one of these diseases. Nevertheless, I would try to make the results as private as possible because I would not like people to know about my results. One of the consequences to this project, though, is that insurance companies are not going to pay the expenses of a person who is prone to have a costly disease. That is my main concern about this development. Overall, I think this development could save millions of lives and everyone who is willing to have a little insight into the future of their health should take it, especially if one’s family has a genetic disease going back at least one generation. For instance, Meredith Grey, the protagonists of the television series called “Grey’s Anatomy,” has a mother who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, and thanks to Dr. Miranda Bailey, who encouraged genome mapping at Seattle Grace Hospital, she got tested to see if she had a strong predisposition to inherit it.
Camila B.
Love the Grey Anatomy reference! And I definitely agree with you!
DeleteStacy J
The personal genome project is a huge development in science. Through participating in the project, you could find out all kinds of genetic information about yourself. You could know if you have any life-threatening disease or other mutations in your genes that could greatly affect your life. The results of this project could give you all kinds of information so you could know if you need to live a different kind of lifestyle so that you have a better chance of living longer. Being a part of this project could save lives, as it could give a warning about deadly diseases, like cancer, Alzheimer’s, and liver diseases (to name a few), before there are any symptoms. These diseases could be prevented, or at least treated earlier on to avoid them if the patient knew that he or she had this disease.
ReplyDeleteDespite all of the benefits of participating in the personal genome project, I would not volunteer to be a part of it. The main reason for this is because of the loss of privacy. The results of this project would be available to anyone with access to the internet, and this could cause discrimination by some companies. For example, if I wanted to get health insurance, the company could simply look up my results on the internet and find out if I had any life-threatening disease or medical problem that would be very expensive for them to cover and they could decide to not give me the insurance. In addition, my employers could also find my results and it could be possible that I would not get a job because of what they find on my medical records. If I could participate in the project and keep my results private, I would definitely do it, but unfortunately the cons of participating outweigh the pros, at least based on how the project is organized at the moment.
Iines K.
The Personal Genome Project might seem informative to what your future might bring at first glance, however it can lead to many issues concerning discrimination and insurance coverage. This project is a way to see what diseases a person could encounter during their lifetime. This is a great way to make sure you take care of yourself and go to the doctor more frequently depending on the disease you might have. It also can show you the different diseases that could be passed on when it is time to have a baby. However, as the program is now, all the results obtained from the test is not protected by the program, it is public knowledge.
ReplyDeleteWith this in mind, I would not do the Personal Genome Project. Although it can help my future, it can also ruin it. If I were to apply for medical insurance in a country without good coverage, I could have difficulties because of my results from the Personal Genome Project. In addition, when I apply for a job, the company could look up all of the results from this project and I might not get it because of a disease I could get in the future. This type of discrimination from both a potential job and an insurance company is what is holding people back from participating in the Personal Genome Project.
Elisa R.
The Human Genome Project-Would you volunteer?
ReplyDeleteThe Human Genome Project (HGP) is an experiment that tests the chemical base pairs of DNA. Discovering the base pairs will let scientists be able to create medicine for cancer or other etiologies/disorders that as of right now do not have a cure. These scientists are trying to make the world a better place by eliminating many diseases from the planet, however, they are not considering the consequences for the future generations.
I would not do The Human Genome Project. Though there seems to be great benefits to this experiment there are also reasons not to partake in this project. The HGP is altering human nature. When participating in this experiment you not only alter yourself but you change your future children, grandchildren, etc. You could change everything about your child such as: whether they are smart, athletic, artistic, and so on making your kid unique until everyone else who wants their children to be perfect does this, and suddenly your offspring are the same as everyone else.
Maia D.
The Personal Genome Project is a long term, large cohort study which aims to sequence and publicize the complete genomes and medical records of volunteers, in order to enable research into personal genomics and personalized medicine.
ReplyDeleteEven though this project is a great scientific development, I would not be a volunteer. Like this project has many benefits ( advance medicine and global health, and contribute directly to a scientific endeavor) this project also has many risks like lack of privacy, future problems in health insurance and employment, being exposed to a disease which is current lacking treatments. Before being a part od this project you need to sign a consent form stating that you agree to give up on all ownership of your DNA sequence data which could effect your work, insurance and even social interactions. The consent form says you are free to withdraw from this project whenever you chose so but all your information is already out there and there is nothing that can be done. The consent form also states that there are “No benefits to you” that theres nothing that you would benefit as a result in your participation and there will be no compensation in your participation. It is made very clear that there is no confidentially once you are enrolled in this project. Therefore I would not like to be a part of it and risk my future.
Camila M
The personal genome project is a great advantage to scientific research. The information we find out from this project could help us identify illnesses and diseases we may have in the future ahead of time to change our lifestyles in order to live a longer and healthier lives. For example, Alzheimer’s disease could be identified ahead of time. Furthermore, by participating in this project we would be helping aims to advance medicine. People who are willing to volunteer would be contributing to possibly saving many lives in the future.
ReplyDeleteAlthough the personal genome project could help identify and treat diseases ahead of time there are very few personal benefits in participating and there is no guaranteed privacy. I would not volunteer to be a part of the personal genome project. As a result of your results becoming public, many insurance companies may chose not to cover you for a disease or illness you may get in the future. As a result, people who participate in this project risk not being able to obtain financial services. The risks outweigh the benefits and I would not contribute because of the privacy issues surrounding this project.
Irem G.
Yes, I agree about the privacy issues! Nice insights!
DeletePersonally, I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project because of privacy and safety concerns. The project is very ambitious and the benefits that it could cause are very impressive yet as it stands today, the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages.
ReplyDeleteThe genome project could allow us to identify genetic variations and possible defects early on and have that registered for future medicinal purposes. It could allow scientists to conduct research on certain diseases such as cancer with the purpose of finding a relationship in between genetic variation and the disease. The scientists would have an ample pool of data since the genetic codes are available on the world wide wed, which leads us to the many disadvantages of the Genome project.
Since the project is available online, the access to an individual’s genetic code is not restricted, which in my opinion, infringes their privacy. Employer’s could get a hold of these codes before hiring someone and, with the help of experts, could decide to not hire that person because they might have some type of disease or disorder. This is why in Spain right now, it is illegal for employers to ask for or know your medical records so they cannot fire an individual because of their health. The same thing would happen with health insurance companies. Their ultimate goal is to make money so if they know an individual has a gene that has a predisposition for breast cancer, they will probably not cover them. With the project being available for everyone, the genetic codes of people could fall in the hands of the wrong people, which could cause unwanted consequences.
Jaime M.
I fully agree with your statement, the fact that the project is available to everyone is a complete violation of privacy! Well written!
DeleteDiego MC
The Personal Genome Project has its pros and cons. I would be interested to know what genetic mutations or diseases I have inherited and may be susceptible to inheriting. I basically have no family history due to the fact that I am adopted. The main issue to the PGP is that it is not private and results are posted online and accessible to the public. A counter-argument to the privacy issue would be that the PGP website requires you to give them consent to post the results online, so if you end up objecting, they can say that you have given them consent.
ReplyDeleteAnother issue with the program would be that you may be embarrassed with the diseases or mutation you can possibly inherit. However, this is also why you must give consent to the research facilities conducting the projects. Basically the PGP is all about consent and that it is not a good idea to give consent if you do not want your results to be accessible to the public. I do think that there should be an opportunity to be given privacy to your results. I would only be interested if I was given a privacy choice or an opportunity to look at your results and decide if you want them posted publicly.
Overall, I do believe the project has good intentions, but that privacy issues should be resolved.
Stacy J
“Would you volunteer to be part of the personal genome project?
ReplyDeleteThe personal genome project benefits as great advantage to scientific research. The evidence discovered from this project could help us recognize illnesses, diseases and any other medical problems we may encounter in the future beforehand, in order for us to change our lifestyles so that we can live a longer lives. There for being a part in this project we would mean helping advance medicine. Volunteers would be contributing to save many lives in the future and helping cure diseases.
Though the personal genome project could help detect and deal with diseases ahead of time there are few personal benefits in taking part and there is no guaranteed privacy.
I would not want to volunteer in part taking of the personal genome project. Your results becoming public, many insurance companies may not cover the expenses of illnesses or diseases that may come up in the future. People who participate in this project are at risk of not being financially supported by the government. There are as many risks as there are benefits, they balance each other out. This is why I would rather not participate in the project but respect and support anyone who would take part.
Sarah M
The Personal Genome Project is a research work with a goal of determining chemical base pairs, which later on make up human DNA. The research has its pros and cons, as it could identify possible diseases and sicknesses from an early stage, but it also encounters some privacy and safety issues.
ReplyDeleteThe Personal Genome project can help scientists identify diseases and sicknesses from a verly early stage and as a result, apply the right treatment to these. These treatments would be a benefit for society, as people would live longer and healthier lives without having to deal with diseases during their lives. Also, scienstits would be benefited with all the data being on the internet, as they would have large amounts of data to investigate on and therefore make their works more detailed. However, this important matter is one of the main issues regarding the Personal Gerome project,
The fact that the project is online is a definite violation of privacy.The access to an individual ´s genetic code should not be available to public, as it can have an important influence on important things, for example, someone ´s application for a job. Directors of companies with the help of experts on the subject, could look online the individual ´s health, and with this, make a decision on whether the individual is ready, or not to make good work. The project being available to every person is wrong, as this is a very large world, and the possibilities of someone ´s genetic code falling into the wrong person ´s hands are big , and as a result, undesired consequences could follow.
I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project.
Diego M - C
I fully agree with your statement, the fact that the project is available to everyone is a complete violation of privacy! Well written!
ReplyDeleteDiego MC
I would volunteer for the Personal Genome Project if the results were completely anonymous and even I would not find out about them. I would be willing to do this for the sake of science and medical advancements. However, I don’t think we should have this information.
ReplyDeleteLets say I am think of having a baby, by knowing this information and my partners I could know how my baby would be. This could affect our decision of having a baby. This seems like it is playing a little bit too much with destiny. Also we do not know everything and we could make new scientific discoveries showing that there might be other factors that cause a baby to be one way or another.
Next, I think if social security knew this information they could charge people more or less according to the conditions they might have in the future. This feels like it could only lead to problems. There is a gray area because this information is not completely certain and the money paid could become subjective. Also people could judge you for what conditions you have. There are strange people on this planet that might stalk people with special genetic information and come out with strange schemes. Finally, if I knew this information I would feel a bit uncomfortable. Sometimes knowing so much about yourself can be something negative. It could affect your attitude about yourself and cause serious mental issues. One could become depressed or crazy by knowing so much.
In conclusion, I think it is a great idea and a good start to something with endless possibilities, but not safe for human beings at this point in history. If it were done anonymously just to create a database I would volunteer!
Daniel M.
I would not volunteer to be a part of the personal genome project. Even though it is important and should be done the fact that all your personal information could be accessible to any body in the world, including your name, would frighten me. Also, the fact that all your medical information is on the internet means that your employer could access it and not hire you depending on the medical insurance that he or she might have to spend.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I would be a volunteer if it was anonymous and I wouldn’t have to give information such as my name. The personal genome project is great because it allows researchers who are trying to find the function of an individual gene to compare many and figure it out. Also, the more data that we collect the easier it will be to exclude environmental influences and find rare diseases through genes.
Another benefit to being a volunteer would be if you had a disease or an illness the research may help doctors find a cure. Even though they probably wouldn’t be able to discover it in time to save you it might save millions of people in the future.
Marina G
I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project because it is difficult to trust people with personal information, especially information of that caliber. With this people knowing about this much of information about anyone, it is therefore, a total violation of one's privacy. Even if the tests were to be anonymous, the information is out there for a stranger to be seen. And also, who knows what the people with that much knowledge about people can do. This project could lead to major disasters if it is not treated VERY carefully.
ReplyDeleteYes, it can help with one's medical history a lot. But is it really that necessary? Even though a disease was to be found, since it is genetical such as diabetes, there could be not much to do about it besides wait until it actually kicks in. Yes, it is better to be informed about it, but it can also damage your mental health because of worrying about it too much.
So in conclusion, these tests should not be done in any other way than anonymously with instant results and once those results are informed to the patient they must be handed to them the same day with an insurance that no back-up copies were made. And if the patients were to be asked if they wanted to share their results for medical research only, then it must be done with a copy of the original document as well a monthly notification to the patient about the research.
Santi Z.
DeleteAs it is now, I would not take part in the Personal Genome Project. Having such a private aspect of one's life for everyone to see, including potential employers, is risky and probably what parents meant when they begged their children not to release private information online. It seems like a violation to people's rights to post their medical information online. I am sure some people would be intrigued or even desperate to find out about their probabilities on acquiring an illness, and the fact that to obtain that information they would have to make it public seems like it is too much to ask for.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, if the system ever became privatized and the results would be the person's own material, I would love to be involved in the project. It is a good way to increase the awareness for any probable sickness, it could very well save lives or at least prepare people for their future.
It is a very helpful and positive project, but its biggest flaw--basic denial to a person's privacy regarding their own body--is too important to let slide.
RocÃo C.
I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project, although it seems that it may have a lot of benefits to society, overall. I would not want the public to see my personal data whatsoever, with the Internet providing other people enough private information about me. It would definitely help my medical problems, since the doctors and scientists would be observing my medical condition throughout my whole life. However, knowing the fact that everyone of this world can access my medical information, I would not be able to join the experiment voluntarily.
ReplyDeleteAlso, this might cause future conflicts with the insurance company if I happen to contract a disease, since they are able to access my medical information. I agree that this may improve our society’s medical accomplishment, but most people will be reluctant to volunteer. However, I believe that if this experiment is carried out anonymously, there will be much more volunteers than if it is carried out with all the private information open to the public.
Min C.
Human Genome Project is a project that each person could have their own medicine, and can be found what type of disease he would get in the future. However, this project has a huge privacy issue. For example, if a person volunteered that project and found out that he would likely to get a cancer in the future, he can't get a cancer insurance. An insurance company would look his human genome using internet and decides not to accept him. In other words, his family can not get an insurance money when he dies by cancer. Even though human genome project provide each person's own medicine and be able to prevent disease that he would possibly ill in the future, this also has great risk in order to volunteer.
ReplyDeleteWho posted and forgot to put their name? Mr. A
DeleteIt's by Konomi U.
DeleteAshe-o-ling!
DeleteMr. A
I would not volunteer for the genome project. Knowing that my personal medical information is out could cause many long-term issues. First of all, I believe it is not entirely necessary as some of the information acquired is about conditions that do not yet have a cure, like Alzheimer’s, or that cannot be treated until the person has it, like some forms of cancer. Therefore, this information would only be useful to offer information to a person about what awaits them. Spending money on merely identifying upcoming medical conditions would not be very useful for everyone and therefore should not be started at this time. If cures are found for some of the conditions that the genomes provide, then this could assist some people is staying healthy and be useful.
ReplyDeleteFurthermore, I believe that if people know about what awaits them, they would live in fear for most of their life and enjoy it less. They would spend their time waiting for whatever condition awaits them to come instead of living the unknown. Also, doctors could use the genome information to take advantage of a patient knowing what will arise. This could be very dangerous. If a person’s future conditions are let out in the open, other people could judge the person on this basis.
Another important point to keep in mind is that the information could fall in dangerous hands and could be used to a person’s disadvantage. There are all kinds of people out there, and if the information falls in bad hands, it could be used to the person’s disadvantage. Insurance companies could also take advantage of people by having all their information on one database. The idea is a very interesting one, but I believe that right now is not the best time to perform these kinds of projects.
Lydia B.
The personal genome project demonstrates how science has developed along with technology, and how it has influenced our world. This project consists of collecting the genetic information of individuals around the world, letting you know before-hand if you have any disorders or diseases that could severely affect your life. Although it is easy to access through Internet, it can also be referred as loss of privacy, because all the data will be freely available on the Internet, along with the volunteer’s name. That is why I, personally, would not volunteer for the personal genome project, despite of all the benefits it can have.
ReplyDeleteThese days, there have been many incidents related to the individual’s privacy on the Internet. As mentioned before, the personal genome project reveals part of your personal information that can lead to misinterpretation and discrimination by insurers and employees. Because your personal information is revealed in all over the world through the Internet, companies would definitely take this chance to examine their employers. In consequence, it can lead to misinterpretation of an individual’s genes and come to the wrong conclusion, except for the people who really have studied or know about genetic codes. In addition, the personal genome project can cause discrimination among the employers, because it shows a predisposition for certain diseases. That is why I believe that this project can be disadvantageous for many people. I cannot deny that it is a great advancement for science and for our society, however, the fact that you have to share your personal information through the Internet can be harmful in many ways.
Yeri C.
Would you volunteer?
ReplyDeleteI would not volunteer for the Human Genome Project. Though it could certainly help me orient my lifestyle accordingly to the different diseases I might develop later on, the benefits that I would draw from it would not outweigh the risks that I would be taking. People have lived happily for hundreds of years without knowing what diseases they would have later on. Also, why would anyone want to know what diseases they will probably have later on so they can dread their coming for the rest of their lives? Furthermore, these results would be available to anyone online. Insurance companies would refuse to pay for these diseases one would be “predetermined” to have.
Lastly, people could be discriminated based on their medical predispositions to certain diseases. Employers already have a means to know what their employees do, with Facebook. This project would just help them discriminate and decide to give a job to a certain person over another just based on their likeliness to get a certain disease.
MatildeT C.
Would you volunteer?
ReplyDeleteThe personal genome project could be considered as an immense step in science development. Through this project people can make a hand in their lives because they can know their predisposition to a variety of illness, such as; breast cancer, disorders of homeostasis, cystic fibrosis, liver diseases and many others. Also, researchers can profit by looking at what other scientists have commented about the gene they are looking for. For example they can find out its function(s), evolutionary relationships to other human genes, diseases associated with this gene or other data types, and furthermore. In other words, people can have a chance of living a fruitful and longer life by just participating.
However, in spite of having the chance of living a protracted life, I would not volunteer for the personal genome project. As it is a internet-active era, I would like to be careful about my personal data. In addition, with all the personal data open for everyone to see, it might become an obstacle of my life. For instance, People might judge me misunderstanding the difference of my gene or because I have some problems (that I found out through the project).
Another instance is that, I might be blocked from finding a job for having some chance of a disease. Similarly, it is possible for me to struggle with visa for having some possibility of a disease. Therefore, I would not volunteer for this project.
Daseul K
The Personal Genome Project is a scientific development that would create medical advancements and discoveries that could probably safe many lives, but there is controversy as to whether to do it or not. If a person were to volunteer for this project genetic tests would be administered and the person could see if he/she has any prepositions to any disease or illness like liver diseases, breast cancer, and others. Although there are benefits to this project there are also consequences like loss of privacy since all of this information would be on the internet and accessible to anyone who would want to see it.
ReplyDeleteIn spite of all the benefits like knowing if I or my children have a high chance of getting an illness, I would not volunteer to be part of the personal genome project. Even though I am towards medical advancement, I would not volunteer mainly because of the loss of privacy. All the results of the project would be available to anyone on the internet which means that even insurance companies would be able to see my genetic information. This means that if I wanted to get health insurance and the insurance company saw that I was prone to a costly disease, they might decide not to cover me for that reason. If the project's results were kept privately, I would definitely participate but unfortunately it is not, and I would not want my private information to be open to the public.
Karen D.
Helping the development of biology studies will be certainly helpful to many peoples in the future and for the economy. However, the problem is that it could be dangerous or could get a disadvantage of your body.
ReplyDeleteTo support this detail, looking at one person's perspective, you would definitely do want to volunteer if it has no harm but however, it has a harm. By the way, just by volunteering one person will not affect that much which to us, it is not a great thing nor good for your health. So conspicuously, who will possibly want to do that?
Byung H
The Human Genome Project was a scientific research that began in 1990 whose goal was to obtain chemical base pair’s progression in which make up DNA. Their goal also included to establish about 20,000 through 25,000 genes of the human genome from a physical and functional point of view. I would not volunteer in the Human Genome Project for many understandable and basic reasons. Starting with the fact that having personal medical information out there in the internet that we know and use today, is very dangerous. Also, my medical information is private and should remain so.
ReplyDeleteYet an inevitable fact is that volunteering in such research would help anyone’s life. That is because it means that your medical condition would be examined by doctors and scientists regularly for the rest of your life therefore preventing medical surprises. Yet, being aware that almost anyone if not everyone could have access to my personal medical information is a sacrifice I would not be willing to make. Nor a risk I would be willing to take. On the other hand, I would volunteer if the research handled their clients anonymously. Therefore, people having access to my medical information which benefits the research but not knowing who it is about which benefits me.
Vera S.
I personally would not volunteer to the Personal Genome Project even though it could help me as much as the world. Because of privacy reasons, as anonymity is not guaranteed I don’t feel confident sharing this king of info with the world. Im pretty sure that there would be consequences for this and thats not okay with me. Even though I understand that unlocking the secrets in my DNA could change the understanding of a disease, Im not confortable with all that. I think its amazing that the world is changing and medicine is pretty advanced nowadays, but I feel like being part of this huge projects is just not for me. I would want to find out about genetic diseases I may have but Im just not willing to pass all that process. I also think that cloning could happen more easily and that would be another huge problem for the society.
ReplyDeleteArturo S.
Would I Volunteer for the Human Genome Project?
ReplyDeletePersonally, I would not volunteer to be a part of the Human Genome Project. Although I realize the benefits you can have from knowing the diseases you are susceptible to, I think it can be harmful if made public and, honestly, I would rather not know.
Firstly, since the records are made publically, insurance companies would use my records to judge the cost of my insurance. I don’t believe this is fair to those who were born with a gene that codes to a serious disease such as cancer and I wouldn’t want my insurance to go up due to a something I cannot change.
Another reason I wouldn’t want to be tested would be the pure sense of knowing my future health. I would rather try living my life as healthy as possible and not worry about my predestined future. Even if I could make small changes to try to prevent diseases, I still would rather live freely and not have my life’s path set on a record.
Cooper D.
I personally, would not volunteer or contribute to the Human Genome Project because the issues it would create in my life offset the benefits it would provide me with. Although, if the results were to stay anonymous and kept away from me, I would like to help improve medical science for the future generations, by volunteering in the project.
ReplyDeleteCurrently though, the Human Genome Project is public, therefore exposing your entire medical history to the Internet, including your future potential diseases. This invasion of privacy would lead to enormous amounts of discrimination towards people with certain medical conditions, as well as decide many people’s destinies. To think that anyone in the entire world could have access to your genetic coding implicates the loss of future jobs, mates and even friends because of upcoming serious diseases. In addition, this project could later on lead to a change in human nature. Parents would be able, essentially of changing their babies completely before they are even born!
I do understand, though, that the Human Genome Project could allow people with future serious illnesses to live their life to the fullest before falling sick, and may even allow some babies to be saved from some diseases while still in the womb. Of course, many people would like having the capacity to change and know all these elements in their life, but at the same time it changes someone’s course in life completely.
For all these reasons, I believe that either the results are kept with privacy (allowing volunteers to choose to know or not) or the project should be shut down for such an enormous invasion of privacy.
Claudia M
Personally I wouldn't volunteer for the Human Genome project because of the following reasons.
ReplyDeleteFirst, I don´t think that something so personal should be public. I believe it should be made private because no one has the right or the need to see your personal information.
Secondly, I believe this project has a negative side and a positive side.
The negative part of this project is not only that it is public but it can ruin your life. An example would be if now they told any of us that we were likely to have a decease in the future. We are only sixteen. Knowing this would change our whole lives. It can be bad because people will start treating you differently, and i believe you yourself would start acting differently. It might even lead to depression, or depending on the person they might not waste any time and do whatever they wanted to do before dying, but that would also be negative knowing that you have a change our dying in ten years for example.
The positive part is that if the disease is curable then there is a chance to save peoples lives and be ready for it, or even prevent it.
I wouldn't volunteer because there are more negative reasons than positive, and because i don´t believe its moral or should be public.
Cristina C.
The Human Genome Project (HGP) was an international scientific research project with a primary goal to determine the sequence of chemical base pairs which make up DNA. To my honest opinion, even if its for a good cause, I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project. I know that it is for great intentions, to find many ways to cure diseases and to alter the human DNA. But i would never participate in it.
ReplyDeleteI have many reasons, and one of it is because i am deathly afraid of projects and anything they do to experiment. I would probably be the worst test subject because of my constant fear. But for the other reason, i would not like to have something so personal be posted on the Internet for anyone to see. I would never do it, but if it came down to life or death...There is no knowing what the human mind will do to protect its life.
Cassia E.
If i were asked to participate in the Human Genome Project, i would decline the offer. This is a project aimed at to determine the sequence of chemical base pairs that make up ones DNA. Although this project can be very helpful in finding cures or providing research, I think it is too personal especially since it is made public on the internet. I think such personal medical documents should be kept classified, and if published to the internet, it should be anonymously.
ReplyDeleteThere are both positive and negative sides to volunteering in this project. For example, you would be able to find a cure in advance to any disease that you are at risk for, as well as providing important information to many that would need it. On the other hand, i would personally not want to know a disease that i am at risk of having many years prior to being diagnoses, as it would leave me with fear of the future. In addition, since this information would be online where everybody could see it, there could be a lot at stake when applying for jobs or looking for a partner.
Tina Z
If personally I would be asked to be part of the Human Genome Project I would not accept the offer. There would be great changes for the worst throught your life. You could be discriminated or harrased as the information of your body would be posted for evryone to see. And you would be taken away in society.
ReplyDeleteAs the project is not fully efficient, there could be some flaws which would make your body weaker and unhealthier. People could manipulate you and use you for their benefit, this would create a un balance in society as your personal information is posted in the web. Even though, there are some good parts to it. Many diseases and sicknesses could be treated in advance, and in a more prepared level. Furthermore, you could be at risk as you apply for a job, as employers could use your information to determine if you are capable of the job.
To conclude this statement I want to finish saying that I wouldnt want to be part of the Human Genome Project.
Ignacio P.B
If I would be asked to participate in the human genome project I wouldn't accept the offer, mainly for privacy reasons. This project has many advantages because it can determine health issues before those issues appear.
ReplyDeleteBut, having your health for the predisposition of anyone is against the privacy of the person who just volunteered for the human genome project. In the US if the insurance company sees you have a health problem then they are not going to give you an insurance since the only thing that they want is the money. The same thing is going to happen when you are being employed because if you have a problem, you might not get employed.
Finally, although, I would not volunteer for the human genome project, its a great way for scientists to study many fatal diseases and have a cure or at least a prevention method.
Alex P.
Yes I would volunteer to be a part of the human genome project. It seems like one of those things that just becomes a basic process later in the future. If it would become something like this then it would be an honor to be one of the people involved in the starting of this research and the development of this project. There seem to be more upsides, because one scientist thinks to have narrowed cancer down to a particular gene. However we do not know enough about this yet that I would jump right into it, I would want to be reassured that nothing bad can happen, short term and long term. Once everything gets sorted out and there aren’t any known issues then I would be happy to do it. Yes there are privacy risks, but there is not much possibility that someone will take advantage of this information. I do think that the benefits outweigh the risks.
ReplyDeleteReece H.
In my opinion I would not join the human genome project. The main reason why i would not join the human genome project is because of privacy and because of the conservative culture.
ReplyDeleteEven it has a lot of advantages such as determine celular mutation before in time or even they can treat find any genetic disorder, people can see what you are and all the details that you have in your body. Therefore, people could make fun and discriminate the person who participated the HGP.
Hao C
What is the beauty in life, not knowing what tomorrow holds. We are all essentially ticking time bombs and what keeps us enjoying the moment is not knowing what the next will hold. For example if a high school student knew that he or she was going to win the lottery and that they would essentially not have to work or find a job for the rest of their life would they put effort into high school? Putting the effort is essential as it creates maturity for example. So, for example if you knew that you would lose your memory to Alzheimer’s would you live your life enjoying the moment you live or worrying about when the Alzheimer’s will catch up to you?
ReplyDeleteFurthermore, it is an invasion of privacy because if health care insurance companies have all your genetic information such as any cancerous genes, Alzheimer or other hereditary diseases. This is unfair as with this information insurance companies can discriminate people and not accept to take clients who do have these genetic malfunctions. As humans we are all deserving of the same of the same level of health care, in my opinion.
ANNA VDL
If asked to participate in the Human Genome Project, i would eagerly participate as a volunteer.
ReplyDeleteThis project will pose many advantages to our present society as well as the coming generation. As many features of the cells have been successfully explored in the past few years under which this project has been under way and considering the achievements made in the past concerning this project, it is clear that in the near future many cures to diseases would be successfully discovered which might save the lives of the people presently suffering from these incurable diseases, which in the past have been the cause of so many deaths. This would further strengthen the immunity of an average human.
On a personal level, i myself would be able to benefit from this project. These genetic code may be able to determine the disease i am comparatively more vulnerable to. This may provoke me to seek treatment in that particular disease, before it reaches a greater stage and may prove to be deadly for my health and well being.
The advantages posed by these tests are far greater then the disadvantages which may be personal safety, i do agree that there may be some issues regarding health insurance under the idea that genetic codes are inscripted since birth.
However having my personal information made public would not bother me knowing that it is for the greater good of todays as well as tommarrows generation.
Manya K.
I would like to participate in the Genome Project.
ReplyDeleteGenes rarely hold the secrets of a human being, nor are they the final arbiter of some of the late onset chronic diseases the world is grappling with. But our genomes are something we can’t negotiate with. Late last month the US patent office granted a patent to 23andMe, a California direct-to-consumer genetic testing company that would allow it to offer parents opting for in vitro fertilization to negotiate the genome of their child. However, I would definitely volunteer for my future generation.
-Byung
Personally I wouldn’t volunteer to be part of the personal genome project because I wouldn’t like my personal DNA information and medical records being post on the internet for everyone to see and use. I am not against the project at all, I actually would encourage people to do it to help improve medicine and for people to become more aware of problems you could see in your genetics. I think this project is a great way of innovating medicine, and volunteering for it would help the project be successful and would help not just scientists but also doctors so they can use it for personalized medical decisions. As I said in the beginning being a volunteer is something I wouldn’t do because I wouldn’t feel confortable with by personal medical information being exposed, but I do encourage others to participate because it is a good cause and it will not only help you but others as well.
ReplyDeleteIlona P.
Personally I would not volunteer to be a part of the personal genome project because many people would have access to my information online and use it for whatever they want. This could result in a slight discrimination when I apply for a job because people could judge me based on my medical records. Not only that, but because they aren't doctors, my employers might see a normal genetic difference as something that is serious and not hire me. Another problem could be with health insurance. Countries have different health insurance policies and if I were to move to a country and they see that I have a possibility of getting a disease that requires an expensive treatment, they might deny me of that insurance. Apart from the negatives, the project also has a lot of 'pros'. One benefit is having the ability to get treatment sooner. For example, if they were to find that I was going to get a type of cancer later on in my life, I could start getting treatment for it as early as possible to prevent the pain further on. Another benefit is just the simple fact of knowing your health. I personally think it would be great to know if I'm at risk of any extremely dangerous and deadly diseases later on and like they say, "the sooner the better."
ReplyDeleteGabriella V
The Personal Genome Project is a big advance to the future of medicine. Its goals are well established and it has a good chance of working out. But, personally I would never volunteer for something that exposes my privacy and I think meanwhile so many things about you are available to everyone, not many people will volunteer for this. The risks of discrimination are extremely high and it is most probable that the information published would be used for the wrong purposes, once it is published on the internet it will be forever out there. I think in extreme cases of health, it would be a good resource to apply to the Personal Genome Project, but, while you are living in good conditions and you are completely healthy, I do not see the need to do so.
ReplyDeletePutting aside the violation of privacy, the advantages this project poses are huge. The fact that a disease like Alzheimer's could be prevented would make the community feel better about their personal health. I think the intentions of the project are good, and I encourage anyone who feels safe enough in their environment to volunteer.
Isabella P.
After reading about the Genome Project, I came to the conclusion that I would not like to be part of it. It invades my personal and DNA information which I would not like scientists and all the internet to look at. Privacy is one of the things that people should avoid saying or making public. I would encourage doctors and scientists to look at genetics information to look at new diseases so they can come up with new medicines that can cure the severe diseases. Sometimes, people can take advantage of your private information and share it and you could even get discriminated by the different results of your DNA. I would say that I'm not entirely against the Genome Project because in some cases it might help doctors discover diseases that do not have a cure and would have to try to create a medicine so that that disease could be cured. But still, I would not volunteer to be part of the Genome Project because I would not like my DNA information to be shared. The DNA is something that should usually be only used in worst cases when police and scientists are trying to find clues of murders and crime.
ReplyDeleteOrietta I.G.
Though I would like for this program to continue in its advances in medicine, I would not volunteer for it. This is because I would not like for my full medical record as well as my personal DNA information to be online where everyone can see it. Furthermore, I think that having your medical record online could affect you in the future because if you have any medical issues, you might not get covered by any medical insurance. There is also a big disadvantage to this program. This program could determine your fate which you might not want to know. Also, it could tell them if their offspring might have a genetic disease which one couple might not want to know.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I do believe that this project should continue its development in advancing medicine. This project could hold the cure for cancer, Alzheimer or any other incurable diseases. Moreover, having the knowledge of DNA is very powerful and could not only lead to cures but also to prevention of other illnesses. Finally, this project could eliminate surgery and any other procedures which could have a life-long effect on you.
Nicolas M.
I honestly don't know if I would volunteer to be a part of the personal genome project. If i were to volunteer, i might be helping the medical world as doctors and scientist could study my genes to improve medical treatments for serious diseases. Also, if I got the results back and realized i had a diseases that would become a serious issue later on in my life, I would go to a doctor and learn the best ways to treat and get rid of the disease before it becomes a big problem. I think the project itself is really great for the medical world.
ReplyDeleteBut then, everyone who volunteers for the personal genome project, their own personal information and medical record are posted on the internet for everyone in the whole world to see. Personal information is called personal for a reason. You don't want everyone in the world to know that in 20 years from now you are going to get Alzheimer's. Even though my genetic information might be great for the medical world, I don't want any random person in some country knowing all my personal medical information.
Isabel R.
Even though the Personal Genome Project will inform you of what diseases or issues your future may bring, the fact that the project is not anonymous may lead to the project itself leading to various conflicts or issues concerning insurance and discrimination. The Personal Genome Project is a way to see what issues you may have either at the time or later on in your life.It is as a matter a fact a great project to help people make sure they go to the doctors or exercise or do whatver more to prevent their future disease, it can also tell you the diseases that have been passed on by your mother or father or the diseases that you will pass on. Many people may see no problem with this project at all but when you look at the long term affects of having your name and your future or current diseases available to the public knowledge, you will see the consequences.
ReplyDeleteWith the fact in mind that the public would have access to my results of possible or current diseases, I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project. Even though it can bring many opportunties to save my future in the manner that I could prepare for my diseases, the results can ruin my chances of good health insurance and I could be discrimiated based on my results. A good health insurance plan could reject me as to the results of the Personal Genome Project because it may be too expensive. Also, whenever applying for a job my name will be searched and possibly the first thing to come up will be my results of the Personal Genome Project. This could bring difficulties to them accepting me as an employee due to the possibility of having a certain disease in the near future.
These types of problems are what holding people back from being a potential employee or a person with a good insurance plan.
Mencia B
Personnally, I would not volunteer for the Personal Genome Project, even though there are numerous advantages. It would be very helpful to have this type of information concerning my health and what diseases I may or may not develop in the future. However, it would hurt my future greatly in two ways. The first is that now, employers have one more thing to use against you. The effect that this would have on any one person depends on his or her career choice. It would be a far greater hit for a football player to find out that he will develop Alzheimer's than it would be to an accountant. Secondly, as some other students have pointed out, many healthcare companies might refuse to ensure you because it is guaranteed that you will develop some serious disease in the future, which will obviously cost them large sums of money. However, the advantages of knowing that you are going to develop some serious disease and to be able to catch it early on are very tempting, but I would not risk losing everything I have worked for just to know something like that. If one day the program does become anonymous, then I would have no problem applying, and helping not only myself, but other people who might develop the same disease as me.
ReplyDeleteAristotle V.
The Human Genome Project is an extensive research project that was started by George Church. The goal of this project is to learn what makes people who they are. As in, what genes they carry with them. By unlocking the secrets to people's genotypes, many doors in science and medical fields will open. By learning what makes up someones gene's, scientists can cure diseases and participants in the project could find out what diseases they have or potentially might get. However, there are many drawbacks to to this project. The biggest issue with this project is that all of the data is public. There is absolutely no privacy in regards to the data. If someone has Internet access, they can find a participants genotypes. Because of this, many people opt out of volunteering for the project
ReplyDeletePersonally, I see many more benefits to volunteering for the Human Genome Project than drawbacks. Even though all of my information is public, it could save lives. I know there are many risks to volunteering for this. For example, my information could keep me from getting hired in certain areas, somebody could make a copy of my DNA and plant it at a crime scene, or insurance companies might not cover me because of a disease I could potentially have. However, the fact that my genes could help lead someone to discover a cure for a disease outweighs all of the risks. I believe we need to make as many advancements in science as we can, even if it inflicts on our personal privacy.
Adeline Z.
Gorge Church made an big reaserch project called the Human Genome Project his ultamate goal was to learn what makes us Humans who we are in an aspect sence but mental sence as well in the genes that we carry. When Church discovers what genotyopes aremade up of it will help alot not only in science but medicaly! It could maybe even stop some sicknesses and genetical issues! Their are more benifits to volenteer for this project then to not. The only bad part about this is that it is online and may stop somepeople from wanting to help! I think it is good that it is online because people should be able to have acsess to new knoledge but i do understand privacy and the risks it may have in peoples personal lives.
ReplyDeleteAnything people can do to help cure desies is important because i think they should think about all the other people that may get it afterthem! Maybe i can be the one person who fundamentaly helped cure a desies!
Anna B
After reading the article about the personal genotype and knowing what its for, I have arrived to the conclusion that I would not like to be part of this project. I would not be confident of putting such personal information such as my genes and DNA online for everyone to see and work with. I think it would be great for me to know what my personal genotype is but I would not want for someone else to read it and know about it. Even thought I would not participate in this project, I am not saying that other people should not, this is a matter of personal reasons. I do encourage other people to participate in the project. This would help improve medicine and other medical advantages. Participating in this project will help doctors and researchers find out new problems and advantages about the human's genes and about certain diseases. This is also another reason why I would not like my personal genotype to be posted on the internet, because if any researcher found any type of disease and posted it in the internet, making it public, it would definitely have some sort of disadvantages for me when it comes to looking for jobs or certain actions like that.
ReplyDeleteCarlota L